CUSTOM ROM INFO
|Name||CyanogenMod 11 unofficial Nightlies|
|Android Update||Android 4.4.1, KitKat (Launched in Dec 5 by Google)|
|Is this official?||No.|
|Stability||Good enough for daily use. (Dual SIM not working and some minor gaffles)|
|Credits||pawitp, CM Team|
Known Issues/Bugs (quoted):
[As of December 11, 2013.]
- Only the primary SIM slot works
- HW Composer not used in landscape
- Bad animation when switching between portrait <-> landscape
- screenrecord does not work
- FM Radio does not work (you can use SpiritFM, but I’m not providing support for any problem)
- SMS to premium number results in force close
- No anti-banding setting in Camera
- “?” battery stat when not plugged in on boot
- Audio artifacts when UI click sound is enabled
- Camera Panorama
Let’s see how to install the latest CM 11 nightly on your Galaxy Grand Duos GT-I9082/GT-I9082L.
Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page.
You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
CHECK DEVICE MODEL NO.
To make sure your device is eligible with this, you must first confirm its model no. in ‘About device’ option under Settings. Another way to confirm model no. is by looking for it on the packaging box of your device. It must be GT-I9082/GT-I9082L!
Please know that this page is meant only for Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos, model no. GT-I9082/GT-I9082L. Please DO NOT try the procedures given here on other variants of the Galaxy Grand Duos: GT-I9080/GT-I9080L,Also do not use the procedures discussed here on any other Galaxy device or any other company. You have been warned!
BEFORE YOU BEGIN..
You must do this pre-installation stuff before attempting to install the ROM on your Galaxy Grand Duos in order to avoid any complications later, and have a smooth and successful process.
IMP! MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON ANDROID 4.2.2 UPDATE FROM SAMSUNG
This ROM will only boot if install it over 4.2.2 stock ROM from Samsung. If your Grand Duos is still on Android 4.1 which it came with, kindly update to 4.2.2 stock before installing this update.
GET CLOCKWORKMOD (CWM) RECOVERY
Use the link below to download and install the latest and working CWM recovery for your Galaxy Grand Duos. You need this CWM recovery to be able to install the Android 4.4 KitKat ROM like CM11.
(Older versions of CWM and TWRP recovery may give error in installation.)
BACK UP YOUR DEVICE
Back up important data and stuff before you start playing around here as there are chances you might lose your apps and app-data (app settings, game progress, etc.), and in rare case, files on the internal memory, too.
For help on Backup and Restore, check out our exclusive page on that linked right below.
CHARGE YOUR DEVICE
If your android device powers off due to lack of battery while the process is underway, it could damage the device.
So, make sure your device is adequately charged — at least 50% battery of the device.
If you haven’t used a custom recovery, either CWM or TWRP, before, to install a .zip file of a ROM on anything else, then we suggest you first watch a video of that, given right below, to get familiar with the process.
Just fyi, the video below shows installing a .zip file (of recovery) on Galaxy S3 (Yes, not Grand Duos), but it doesn’t matter as the process remains exactly same. So, once you are finished with video, jump to downloads and step-by-step guide below.
GALAXY Grand Duos GT-I9082/GT-I9082L ANDROID 4.4.1 KITKAT ROM
Before we head to downloads and installation guide, let us just remind you that your Galaxy Grand needs to be running on Android 4.2.2 before you install this Android 4.4 based CM11 ROM. If you have not updated your Grand and are still on Android 4.1.2, then the CM11 ROM might not boot after installation.
Download the files given below and transfer them to a separate folder on your phone and remember the location.
Download Link | File name: gapps-kk-20131119.zip (123.71 MB)
Galaxy Grand Duos: Download Link | File name: cm-11-20131210-UNOFFICIAL-i9082.zip (189.49 MB)
For latest version of the ROM available, you can check out the original page here.
Reminder: Before you proceed, make sure you’ve transferred the files you downloaded above to a separate folder on your Galaxy Grand Duos
Make sure you have backed up your phone adequately (including important data stored on internal memory).
Older versions of both CWM and TWRP recoveries are not working with Android 4.4 based ROMs, throwing installation errors and even WiFi bugs on some phones, therefore you need to use the latest version of either recovery. We believe CWM v126.96.36.199 and above are working fine with Android 4.4 ROMs.
Make sure you have got latest CWM recovery installed on your Galaxy Grand Duos. If you need help on that, find the link for working CWM recovery for Galaxy Grand in the “before you begin..” section above.
GUIDE FOR CWM RECOVERY USERS
- Boot into recovery mode. For this:
- Power off your device and wait for 5-10 seconds until the device is fully switched off.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together and release them as soon as you see the Galaxy Grand Duos logo.
└ In Recovery mode, use Volume buttons to navigate Up and Down between options and use Power button to select an option.
- Create a Nandroid Backup from recovery. It’s optional but very important to do, so that in case something goes wrong you can restore to current status easily. For making a Nandroid Backup, go to Backup And Restore » Backup.
- Perform a Factory Reset (This will delete all apps and their settings and game progress). For this:
- Select Wipe data/Factory reset, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm factory reset (screenshot)
- Also perform a System Format, Go to ‘Mounts and storage‘, select ‘format /system‘, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm system format
- First Install the ROM file:
- Now similarly flash the Gapps file.
└ Make sure to first flash the ROM file and then the Gapps file.
- Reboot your device. For this, go back to the main menu of recovery and select reboot system now.
That’s all. Your phone will now reboot and it will take some time as it’ll be phone’s first boot after installing CM 11 ROM, be extremely excited for this!
Note: In case your device gets bootloop (stuck at logo while rebooting), just do a factory reset (step 3) and you will be fine.